Sunday 15 November 2015

The Paris Attacks

The day before yesterday, around 11pm, I came home from a birthday party that one of my family's friend was having. Though it was quite late for me (recently I have been used to going to bed at 10pm) I sat down and opened my computer.

I put on some music from Youtube and I went on my social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter) to check them out as I usually do when I get to the internet. At first I saw nothing strange or unusual. Just some fandom posts from the Facebook pages I like. But then it came all at once...

"There were two dead after a shooting in a pub in Paris." said the first title I have read. "The explosion in Paris took eighteen lives." said the next one. And it went on and on little by little... I was worried. Of course I was. Because... Who wouldn't be after finding out such news? But it was late and I was slowly falling asleep (yes, while siting at the computer). So I let it go and went to bed.

The next morning, when I woke up I remembered what I had read the day before. I checked the news hoping it had not gotten worse. But it did indeed.

The number of victims was different on every website. But horrifying on all of them. 120 said first one, 130 said the second one and 140 said the last I looked on before I turned off my phone. It was way worse than I'd expect in my worst nightmares. I was shocked.

Yesterday, it was a dreary cloudy day. From the very morning till the very evening. It looked like if the world had not deserved any sunshine.

The rest of the world was full of sollidarity. Hashtags "#PrayForParis" were everywhere. Everybody was changing his profile picture on Facebook and images like the one at the top where everywhere on Instagram. (Better not to know how it looked on Tumblr or Snapchat...)

But...

Does it return the deads to life? No.

Does it make the mourners happy? No.

So whats the point?



We must be strong. We must hold together. We must not be afraid. And this is the way we do it in the 21st century...

In my country Friday 13th stands for a bad day. For years it was just another day. Nothing ever happened. Let's hope this Friday 13th was the last bad one...

1 comment:

  1. Amen, let's hope so.... #pray for paris #pray for Nigeria #pray for beirut...

    www.lexhansplace.com

    ReplyDelete