Monday 7 December 2015

How To Manage Yourself To Actually Do Things



We've all been to this horrible place between "I should do it." and "I did it.", the place where everything can either go surprisingly well or just terribly wrong. The place through which you can run for win or ruin everything...

And in today's post, I'm going to tell you how to get to the other site of this place. How to get yourself to actually do what you should/must/want to do.

1) Find your motivation.

This is probably one of the most important parts. Without it the rest of my tips will be useless. So let's start with some examples!

You have to do something you have no desire doing at all (like a school). Or you want to write a story (or a blog post, maybe) but you can't manage yourself to actually do it. And so on and so on...

What might gonna help you, is a list. Take a piece of paper and a pen and write down "What will happen if you do it." and "What happens if you don't".

An example of the list. Created with canva.com

 2) Make a deadline.

Deadlines are frustrating things, I know, but they are 100% working as well. So go on! Make one! Like "I'll finish my essay two days before my actual deadline is set." or "I'll finish the story in two weeks."

But remember: Be realistic and don't plan impossible things!

3) Plan it.

 Making a plan is what usually helps me most. When I have many things to do, I like to make a plan. The day before, in the evening. I think that's the best time to do it. Because in the morning you won't be motivated enough and you'll have a tendency to do nothing at all. Unlike the evening when you are full of initiatives.

I write a simple list on a piece of paper and then I pin it to my door so I see it every time I leave my room. And I swear it works.

4) Do it.

I don't think this part needs any more words. Now you know what are you going to do. You know why are you going to do it. You know when you are going to do it. And there is just one more thing left.

Do it.

---

You've reached the end of my post. Comment and share if you liked it or even if you didn't (any feedback is helpful, you know) or if there's anything you would like to add - any other tips etc. And I'll see you next time!

4 comments:

  1. So true. Planning and execution are the keys to doing everything that is worth doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a plan is so important! I am the queen of check lists haha. They help me visualize the steps I need to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see it works for you too. Thank you, Emily.

      Delete